The Long Beach Time Exchange is a time banking community, where members use an alternative currency called time credits to exchange skills and services.
Members earn one time credit for each hour that they help others, and spend one time credit for each hour that they receive a favor, service, or lesson from another. In the process of completing time exchanges, we learn new skills and uncover our gifts, make new friends, work to create sustainability for ourselves, and our great city.
The mission of the Long Beach Time Exchange is to build and strengthen relationships within the city of Long Beach by connecting people’s unmet needs and untapped resources.
The goals of the Long Beach Time Exchange are to:
- Connect people to services by making services available for time credits.
- Connect people to people by cultivating reciprocity and interdependence amongst its members.
- Connect people to value though the recognition that all people have something to give, including work that is often unpaid or undervalued.
We envision a city where:
- Residents’ assets—including their diverse backgrounds and experiences—are recognized, valued, and nurtured.
- It is easy for residents to connect to each other through networks rooted in respect and trust.
- Residents share resources that both allow them to meet basic needs and to access their highest potential.
- Residents are empowered to affect and create structures and processes that encourage the growth and well being of themselves and Long Beach as a whole.
CORE VALUES OF TIME BANKING
- Assets: Everyone is an asset. Each individual brings value to our community.
- Redefining work: Work that is often overlooked and undervalued relative to the market economy is valuable. Activities like providing companionship, child and elder care, and civic participation are important.
- Reciprocity: A one-way flow of resources is not sustainable. Helping works better as a two-way street.
- Social networks/community: No one should be isolated. We are stronger and healthier when we are connected to each other.
- Respect: We value diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives and strive to meet people where they are.